I've moved!

Nothing but tumbleweeds here. I've moved to missohkay.wordpress.com. You will be redirected!

Busted: Infertiles don't talk about infertility

One final post for National Infertility Awareness Week and one final myth: Infertility is stigmatized because infertiles are afraid to talk about it. First, I'll concede that some people never breathe a word to anyone. And that's okay. But so many others spread awareness in a lot of different ways. Blogging and tweeting -- even anonymously -- empowers those struggling with fertility issues. It encourages those who are desperately looking for someone to relate to their experience.

I'm so inspired by this community who proves over and over again that we're not afraid to talk about it. The NIAW blog posts busting myths have been amazing, as have been the individual acts of courage -- from visiting legislators (Go, Whitney!), to "coming out" on Facebook (Go, Tillie!), to writing her company's HR about insurance coverage for fertility treatment (Go, Slackie!), to hosting a fundraiser and matching donations for Resolve (Go, Jen!). I'd encourage you to visit Jen's blog and purchase one of her fundraiser #hope t-shirts. I did, and I can't wait to wear it!

I'd like to write more, but I broke my arm this week. I'm not sure I have anything unique enough to say to justify the time it would take to type it left-handed. So, I'll leave you with a few NIAW posts that really spoke to me this year:

  • Katie busts the myth that having a resolution makes everything better
  • Mo busts a handful of miscarriage myths and reminds the RPL girls why we belong to the infertility community too
  • Esperanza busts the myth that miscarriages aren't real losses

For more information, see Infertility 101, and take charge at National Infertility Awareness Week.